The Friedrichswerdersche Kirche (Friedrichswerder Church) was built between 1824 and 1830 after plans by Karl Friedrich Schinkel. As a brick building it follows the architectural tradition of the Marienkirche and the Nikolaikirche. Up to the present day, façade as well as interior match the original appearance. The twin-towered façade of the church, containing the main portal, points southwards to Werderscher Markt. Inside, one steps into a wide neo-Gothic space with a continuous wooden gallery. Here, Schinkel's life and his main Berlin works are explained in illustrated texts.
In the nave a selection of sculptures from Schinkel's time are on display. Among them are the original model of Johann Gottfried Schadow's most famous work, the "Two Princesses", the marble tomb of the revered queen Luise von Preußen by Christian Daniel Rauch, several sculptures from the Berlin Palace, also effigies of Immanuel Kant, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, the brothers Humboldt as well as numerous other sculptures - together they paint a rich and multi-faceted portrait of the Classicist era: its idea of man, its aims in the arts, and its achievements.